Mumstown Books Expert





I have some news I have become the "Books Expert" for mumstown.ie Ireland's premier parenting website, I   am delighted to be involved in a fantastic website which helps parents to connect across Ireland and I hope to help generate discussion about books for all ages, adults and kids.

Here is a link to the Books Forum on Mumstown but you may need to be logged in to see this post or to reply.

http://www.mumstown.ie/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17104

Here is the text of my mumstown update


Hi all,

This is my first every article as the new Books Expert for Mumstown. However I have been here as Bookwitch right form the beginning, can you believe that Mumstown is now 6 years old? Some of you living in or around Drogheda may already know me as Lisa Doyle-Redmond.
I have worked in bookselling now for twelve years, having worked for Dubray Eason and Waterstones. For the last couple of years I have also been reviewing books on my blog http://lisareadsbooks.blogspot.ie/ and occasionally on LMFM radio. So it’s probably fairly obvious by now that books are my passion, so I am very excited about my new role as Mumstown Book Expert.
I would really love members to get in touch and ask me any questions you may have about books; whether you want a recommendation for yourself, your kids or for a gift idea. You can message me here or find me on twitter @LisaReadsBooks or email me lisareads@hotmail.com.
I will be featuring a book of the month for adults and one for kids and I hope to generate discussion about these books and books in general, like an on-line book club.
I will also be posting a weekly feature “Is there a book in you?” This is a week by week writing guide for those who want to start writing fiction. So please get in touch if you have any writing questions.

The first Book of the Month is In a Moment by Caroline Finnerty which is out now from Poolbeg.
This is Caroline’s first novel and it features the story of Adam and Emma whose marriage seems to be falling apart and Jean whose son’s violent outbursts are becoming increasingly terrifying. In a moment the characters lives intersect and are changed forever.
Kids Book of the Month is Back to Blackbrick by Sarah Moore Fitzgerald F out now from Orion.  This is a fantastic debut for older kids and teens which I am sure adults will also fall in love with.

I would love to hear your feedback, about these books and any other books which you have enjoyed recently.

I also included a list of recommended reads for parents and kids

If anyone got a book token for Mother's Day and you are looking for a recommendation please ask. There are so many fantastic books that have just been published. Tell me the last two books you loved and I will recommend a title for you.

In the meantime, here are some suggestions.

The Misinterpretation of Tara Jupp by Eva Rice
From the author of The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets this is the story of Tara lured away from her rural home to the bright lights of London in 1962, she is caught in a whirlwind of music, fashion and love. (Heron Books)

From This Moment On by Colette Caddle
Dealing with the sensitive but topical subject of workplace bullying, Colette is a great writer who knows how to keep readers turning the pages. (Simon & Schuster)

Keeping Mum by Emma Hannigan
Dealing with three mothers and their daughters. Emma is an expert at the family relationship tale. (Hachette Books Ireland)

His Dark Lady by Victoria Lamb
A wonderful Tudor tale for historical fiction fans about Shakespeare's mysterious muse. (Bantam Press)

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Flynn's third novel has been a word of mouth success. If you like crime and psychological drama this will be right up your street. Read the book everyone is talking about. (Orion)

Ruth Galloway series by Elly Griffiths starting with The Crossing Places
This is a series of books (the fifth is out now in hardback) which I recently discovered and they are fantastic. They feature a  forensic archaeologist working with the police to solve crime in rural Norfolk If you want to escape from Scandinavia just for a break although there are some fab new Scandi crime novels out now. More on those later.(Quercus)

FOR KIDS

The Ark of Don Ruadh by Maria Burke is a fantasy for 10 and upwards featuring Irish legends and the supernatural. (Currach Press)

Wormwood Gate by Katherine Farmar is another fantasy this one is set in Dublin. (Little Island)

For younger kids Poolbeg have a great series out now called In a nutshell which retells famous tales current titles include 
The Salmon of Knowledge
The Children of Lir
How CĂșchulainn got his name
The Story of Saint Patrick

If you would like more information of these titles or more recommendations, please get in touch or check out my book review blog
http://lisareadsbooks.blogspot.ie/






Comments