Mrs Sinclair's Suitcase


I heard about this book online and loved the gorgeous cover and the premise of a bookseller who collects the letters and cards she finds in the books in her second hand bookshop. I was reluctant to read it at first though as I thought it simply couldn't live up to the idea of it that I had in my head. However when my good friend Margaret at Bleach House Library reviewed and recommended to me I knew I just had to give it a go.
Happily I can say that the book did not disappoint. 

It is a a dual timeline story (yes you know my favourite) with Roberta in the present day who collects the memorabilia she finds in the books at work. She works at a second hand bookshop, a job she loves and each Roberta chapter has a little quote from one of her finds. Roberta is a great character she likes her own company and she has developed her own routine and she sticks to it, she is in a bit of a rut, it is only as the story unfolds she realises that she does need other people in her life. Dorothy was my favourite character she has made a disastrous marriage and longs for a baby but as her husband goes away to war and she is not getting any younger that seems unlikely. 

This is a beautifully written book which will appeal to those who are like me fans of the dual timeline novel especially fans of Rachel Hore.

Check out Louise's brilliant and beautiful blog http://louisewalterswriter.blogspot.ie/

Comments

  1. Oh nice, great review of what sounds like a must have book and a new blog to check out! Great start to the weekend Lisa. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa for the lovely review and for the mention of my blog, really appreciate it. Must work harder on the blog, neglecting it a bit lately... trying to write my next novel :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is gorgeous I love it. I loved the book and Shauna you will glad to hear that we have a copy for our book club library.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment