The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion


I read this for my book club and it was not the kind of book I would usually choose myself. However I really enjoyed it. I have a habit of judging books by their covers and this one really does not appeal. The significance of the lobster becomes clear early on in the story but it is not a major part of the plot so I'm curious as to why it was chosen. Anyway the basic premise is that Don Tillman; a geneticist at a top Australian University would like to find someone to share his life with. Don likes order and calm and rational thinking so he decides that a scientifically calculated questionnaire will help to narrow the search for the perfect woman. Don enlists the help of his (only) two friends womaniser Gene and his long suffering wife Claudia. One day Gene sends a striking young woman to Don's office, Don asks her out to dinner and Rosie accepts. Despite a few mishaps they have an enjoyable time and it turns out that Rosie needs Don's help to find her biological father. Despite the fact that Rosie is a complete mismatch according to his questionnaire Don starts to spend an increasing amount of time with Rosie reorganising even at times abandoning his previously rigorous schedule. This is a wonderful story about people, their quirks, realtionships, family, friendship and the search for love. A wonderful warm emotional read. Don is a fun character and Graeme Simsion's writing is incredibly well pitched. 

Published by Penguin The Rosie Project is out in paperback now and is part of the Waterstones Book Club.

Comments

  1. One of theist charming books I have read l year, I just love Don !!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment