Apologies, Updates and Literary Rendevouzes




So Sorry not to have blogged in so long. I have really missed blogging, twittering and connecting with other bloggers. I am way behind on everything and  I feel like I have missed so much. I have been working like mad this month, at my book selling job rather than my writing and blogging which is good for the pocket but not quite so good for the soul. Also my own writing has taken a back seat which makes me jittery and puts me in a bad mood.


Nevertheless this July I have had the opportunity to attend some great literary events, some I organised myself, some organised by a great friend and fellow blogger Margaret Madden of Bleach House Library. Margaret invited three authors to visit her wonderful library to talk about their books, their writing and to meet her book loving friends including me. This month we had a wonderful dinner with Lyn Marie Hulsman find out more about her HERE. Lyn Marie is a wonderful lady, an author of cookbooks and romantic comedies who told wonderful stories about her writing adventures and her life in New York, Lyn Marie has worked as an actor and a stand up comedian in her previous lives and if you don't follow her on twitter or facebook you are missing out, find her @LynnMarieSays. Lynn Marie's first novel Thornton Hall is now available in paperback and e-book and her second novel out soon is set in Ireland and is called Summer at Castle Stone. Both are published by Harper Impulse. Lynn Marie also ghosted a gorgeous cook book The Irish Pantry published by Running Press available in hardback and e-book.

The next author we met at Margaret's home Bleach House was Nuala NĂ­ ConchĂșir author of The Closet of Savage Mementoes one of my favourite books so far this year. Here's a link to my review of the book. Nuala is a wonderful writer and our discussion was in depth, detailed and even heartbreaking as we discussed love, loss and motherhood as well as writing and very exciting plans for Nuala's next book which is the story of Emily Dickinson's Irish maid. The new book will be published in 2015 and sees Nuala move to Penguin USA which has necessitated a name change to Nuala O'Connor easier for American and Canadian tongues to get around. I am very excited to read the new book not only because of the subject matter but because I adore Nuala's writing. I interviewed Nuala in person and I will post up my interview asap. Follow Nuala on twitter @NualaNiC.


Finally last weekend Margaret had Hazel Gaynor to stay who is the author of the wonderful The Girl who came Home. I interviewed Hazel earlier this year, Link to the interview HERE
This was a wild and slightly drunken night but we had great fun chatting to Hazel about the writing process, Titanic, future projects and how she met her husband. Margaret also invited Nicola Pierce author of City of Fate and Spirit of the Titanic and it was great to have two wonderful historical fiction authors together especially two Titanic experts. I loved Hazel's book and will review it very soon. Follow Hazel on Twitter @HazelGaynor and Nicola @NicolaPierce3.



Just before she traveled out to Margaret's house Hazel attended a signing event at Waterstones Drogheda, along with Camel Harrington (I reviewed Carmel's first book HERE) Carmel has a lovely new book out called The Life you Left which of course I bought and we had a lovely event with both authors chatting with customers, signing and selling a healthy amount of books too. Here are Carmel and Hazel with Margaret and our friend Meabh. Follow Carmel @happymrsh



I am afraid to say how far behind I am on reviews but I should have plenty for you all very soon, including The Girl Who Came Home, The Life You Left, The Lost Garden by Kate Kerrigan and the wonderful Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell as well as news, reviews and interviews on some fantastic YA Fantasy coming your way this Summer/Autumn.

Finally I have been nominated and longlisted for the Blog Awards Ireland 2014, so thanks to anyone who voted for me and I am delighted to be included. I'll try to put up a link asap so that anyone who wants to can vote for me for the shortlist.

Comments