Coffin Road by Peter May



I am a huge fan of Peter May having devoured The Lewis Trilogy last year in just a few days. Coffin Road is a stand alone novel that sees the author return to the Hebrides. I love anything set in Scotland especially the Highlands and Islands so I was sold on this book within seconds and I love the fact that the name reminds me of another great Scottish novel Iain Banks' The Crow Road. The book opens with a man stumbling around a beach having been apparently washed ashore. He has no memory of how he got there or even of who he is. The first part of the novel sees our mystery man trying to figure out what on earth is going on as he fakes knowing neighbours, friends and even lovers and the reader is right there with him. I found myself flying through the pages desperate to know, what next?
The other major characters in the novel are a rebellious Edinburgh teenager desperate to find out what happened to her father and a seasick detective determined to unravel it all.
I can't say too much about the plot as it will spoil any potential readers enjoyment all I will say is that this is the perfect introduction to May if you haven't read him before and if like me you've only read The Lewis Trilogy then go now immediately and buy this book, you won't be disappointed.
This was one of the first books I choose when I was asked to pick my favourites for a radio interview I did recently in my capacity as a bookseller. I wholeheartedly recommend it.
Perfect for fans of James Oswald, S K Tremayne and Elly Griffiths.



Comments