A Rip in the Veil by Anna Belfrage


This was one of my favourite books of 2013. I simply cannot say enough good things about it. It is a time slip novel, one of my favourite fictional tropes and it features present day heroine Alex who falls through a crack in time during a freak thunderstorm in the Scottish countryside and finds herself at the mercy of escaped convict Matthew Graham. It is 1658. Matthew feels he must take responsibility for this stranded and confused woman. Alex must come to terms with being separated from her family and reliant on a stranger in this strange and dangerous time. As the book features time travel, romance and Scotland it obviously reminded me of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. While there are some similarities the differences are enough to set the two firmly apart. Anna's writing is sharp with great interaction between the characters and there is adventure, mystery and intrigue in abundance. I don't want to give away too much detail here as it would spoil the read. Suffice to say that it is the first in a series and I cannot recommend it highly enough. If you enjoy historical or time slip fiction, are a fan of Diana Gabaldon, Barbara Erskine or Susanna Kearsley then this is for you.

Published by Matador. I am grateful to the author for a review copy.

Comments