Spirit of the Titanic By Nicola Pierce Reviewed By Lisa Redmond


There  are many books about the Titanic but this book is unique in that it takes as it’s starting point not  14th April 1912 but 20th April 1910 because that was when Titanic claimed it’s first victim Samuel Joseph Scott a fifteen year old boy who worked on the ship at the Harland and Wolff shipyard. Samuel roams the ship as a ghost, witness to the glamour of first class and the hard work below decks. The book features a cast of both real and imagined characters including Frederick Fleet; the young lookout who spotted the iceberg, Harold Bride; the radio operator, the brave band leader and of course Captain Edward John Smith. I admit I approached this book with trepidation, I have had a lifelong fascination with Titanic and reading anything about those that perished makes me weep. I even cry reading the wiki entry. I wondered how on earth a writer would be able to create a novel which deals with such a tragic event and make it not only suitable but an enjoyable read for the 10+ age group. In this her first novel for children Nicola Pierce has done just that and her tale is compelling, even though we all know the ending the narrative is utterly engrossing. I admit I laughed I cried and I stayed up way past my usual bedtime in order to finish this poignant and beautifully written book. This is one not to be missed.


5 stars *****

Comments