Evie Brooks is Marooned in Manhattan by Sheila Agnew


I was lucky enough to receive a copy of this lovely debut from Sheila Agnew before publication in March but as I knew I was going to Manhattan myself in April I decided Evie had to come with me. Here she is sitting on my hotel window sill you can just about make out the flag of the United States on The Central Park Hotel across the street. I actually started and finished this book on the plane over. It was that addictive. To be honest the cover misled me a little I was expecting a light hearted tale of shopping, sightseeing and celebrity. However I was pleasantly surprised. Evie travels to New York rather reluctantly as her mum has just died and she has to go and stay with her uncle Scott a vet, although they both agree that she can call him just Scott without the uncle. Apartment living is a strange experience for Evie, as is having a cleaning lady and meeting all kinds of strange and unusual pets and their even stranger owners at Scott's vet practice. In fact Evie feels she could quite enjoy Manhattan she even makes some friends the only real problem is Leela, Scott's girlfriend. When Evie discovers that Leela has been scheming behind Scott's back Evie decides it's time to do some scheming of her own. This is a fast paced adventure featuring some darker themes without ever becoming bleak. Perfect for the 9 plus age group. Fans of Sarah Webb's Amy Green series will wolf this down.

Comments